Our Story

Our Mission

Allegheny Country Club's mission is to be a family centered club providing premier facilities and services for members while offering exceptional social and athletic activities consistent with our history and tradition of excellence.


  • 1895

    Allegheny Country Club (ACC) opened on Memorial Day, 1895 in Allegheny City at California Avenue and Brighton Avenues. The Club included a six-hole golf course designed by Sam Tucker and two tennis courts.

  • 1895

    The first Invitational Golf Tournament was held in June. ACC still holds this tournament today making it one of the longest running tournaments in the nation.

  • 1896

    The golf course was expanded adding three more holes.

  • 1902

    ACC moved to Sewickley Heights and celebrated with a gala opening on May 18th. It included a clubhouse designed by William Ross Proctor, an 18-hole golf course designed by Tom Bendelow, tennis courts, a pond for ice skating, and plenty of room for horse riding or other athletic endeavors.

  • 1904

    The first Sewickley Horse Show was held.

  • 1907

    The Equestrian Facilities were expanded.

  • 1909

    President Taft and associated Yale Clubs visited ACC on May 29.

  • 1913

    Donald Ross first engaged to consult on the design of the golf course

  • 1914

    Australasia vs. Canada Preliminary Davis Cup matches held at ACC and immediately followed by the challenge match between the winner and Germany. Australasia vs. Germany held in late July/early August. Australasia defeated Germany in the first three matches.

  • 1921

    British Isles vs. Australasia Preliminary Davis Cup matches held in August. Australasia was again the winner. Transmitted by KDKA, the event was the first ever broadcast tennis match, just one day after the first ever broadcast of a baseball game.

  • 1921

    W. H. Fowler, golf course architect, initiates an expansion of the golf course.

  • 1922

    July 31, Donald Ross completed golf course developments begun by W.H. Fowler and C.H. Alison.

  • 1928

    The Police/Fire station was built on Club property.

  • 1933

    Donald Ross fully redesigned the golf course. The ballroom and north terrace were built.

  • 1935

    The indoor tennis building was built.

  • 1945

    With 144 members on military leave at the height of WWII, the Club and most of its facilities, including the back nine holes of the golf course, were closed. As the war ended, the Club once again looked to Donald Ross for course restoration efforts in 1945. This was the last major rerouting and expansion of the course and is still played by members today.

  • 1946

    Professional Masters Tennis Tournament held at Allegheny.

  • 1949

    The Club was reorganized as a non-profit corporation in September.

  • 1954

    The USGA held the 54th Women’s Amateur Championship at ACC in September. Barbara Romack defeats Mickey Wright 4 & 2 in the longest final in the history of USGA championships in point of time: 29 hours and 15 minutes.

  • 1965

    The swimming pool complex was built, parking was expanded, and a new indoor riding arena was built. This first major modernization allowed the Club to flourish in the two decades that followed.

  • 1985

    After 81 years of prominent equestrian activities, the Club closed its stables and demolished its horse show grandstands.

  • 1988

    Many upgrades were completed to the Club's infrastructure and decor. Platform tennis was also first introduced as a new seasonal activity.

  • 1990

    The USGA's Mid-Amateur was held at Allegheny won by Carol Semple Thompson.

  • 1995

    Allegheny celebrates its Centennial anniversary.

  • 2001

    USGA Sr. Women’s Amateur held at ACC on September 11, 2001 won by Carol Semple Thompson.

  • 2004

    Historical status was obtained from Pittsburgh History & Landmarks. Gil Hanse was hired to develop and implement a historically sympathetic Golf Course Master Plan.

  • 2006

    New amenities and modern updates were made across the entire Club and campus including a casual bar, a double sided driving range, the paddle tennis complex, har tru tennis courts near the indoor tennis building, and the golf learning center.

  • 2013

    The Back Terrace was rebuilt. A new Master Plan focused on preservation of facilities and providing new member amenities was initiated.

  • 2014

    The Master Plan was embraced by the membership and a Capital Campaign was launched with tremendous support.

  • 2016

    The new lower level of the Clubhouse including the Golf Shop, Fitness Center, Wine Room opens on May 7. Pickleball was introduced at the Club.

  • 2017

    The new putting green and #1 tee project were completed.

Allegheny Today

Today, Allegheny Country Club looks toward the future with our exceptional programming, multi-generation membership, and beautiful grounds. Our rich tradition of excellence provides stability and connection as we move forward into the new millennium. Our club is built on family and enduring friendships that thrive in our active social environment.

Our members enjoy a full roster of events in state-of-the-art facilities including our historic clubhouse and golf course, indoor and outdoor tennis courts, fitness center, dining venues, and event venues. We provide activities and services for families with children as well as programs and amenities that appeal to all of our members and guests. We have intentionally created a family-centered environment where we can value our past, enjoy our present, and plan for the future.